05/09/2010

Nerve Centre Interview: Steve Eye

Steve Eye, Film Guy. Yes, a bad bit of rhyming there from this writer, but that matters not when I have a nice little interview with our, you guessed it, Film Guy! Many of you out there will know Steve Eye from his previous movie nights at The Social Centre on Bold Street, and many of you will have enjoyed his choice of films at The Nerve Centre too. So sit back, make yourself comfortable and read my highly entertaining chat with the brilliantly named Steve Eye.



The Nerve Centre:There's been quite a lot going on at The Nerve Centre. Any highlights so far?
Steve Eye: I always welcome a rare opportunity to hear Paul Tarpey reciting his poetry. He’s totally unique and he doesn’t do it often enough! Inviting Peter Leeson to come to Liverpool and talk about the making of his film here in 1970 was pretty great too. And just enjoying showing some of my favorite documentaries and seeing people responding to them as strongly as I did has been very rewarding. Most of all I’ve enjoyed meeting some very cool new people and renewing acquaintances with some old friends.

 
TNC:What's your relationship to Nerve Magazine?

SE: I know most of the people involved and occasionally get asked to contribute an article or some humorous cuttings (see current issue!)

 
TNC: You seem to have a lot of movies in your collection. Do you have a particular specialty or are you open to all types of film?

SE: My collection is pretty vast! I’m showing only documentaries at the Nerve Centre but I love feature films too. I’ve got a pretty wide taste, ranging from dark bleak European drama to terrifying Asian ghost films to trashy B Movies to political cinema from around the world, and lots more besides! I am sometimes accused of always showing grim films but that's only because there aren't enough political films with happy endings! 

 
TNC: How did you go about choosing the films for The Nerve Centre?

SE: I figured political documentaries were the most appropriate films to show while the Nerve Centre was open. Most of them were chosen from amongst the collection of films I’ve shown previously at the Documentary Night at Next To Nowhere (Liverpool Social Centre) in the basement of 96 Bold Street . I picked my own favourites of those and tried to choose a wide range to cover as many different topics as possible and find some short films which I thought would go well together.
 

TNC: Do you have a favourite film amongst those showing at The Nerve Centre?
SE: Hmmm, tricky! As an old punk I find the film about CRASS very inspiring. And ‘Arna’s Children’ is incredibly powerful and has the potential to really alter people’s perceptions, so it would be hard to top that one. But I love them all really!
 

TNC: Has any thing in the exhibition caught your eye particularly?
SE: What, apart from the huge naked man bearing down on me when I enter the building?! I like Dusty Paul’s artwork very much. And the window displays have been very eyecatching
  

TNC: What do you think is the message of The Nerve Centre?
SE: Express yourself in whatever way you find suitable. Get involved. You can help change the world if you try. Speak out if you have something to say. Come and join in!

 

TNC: Once the Closing Party wraps on September 11th, what should be the future for The Nerve Centre?

SE: It should remain a place with a series of homes, since it can’t remain in the building it’s currently in. Let’s find other places for it to exist and keep it moving so it reaches as many people as possible. Some of the social centres around the country have had several homes and are not tied to a particular set of bricks, but are more about the group of people involved

 

TNC: Are there any movies you were considering showing at The Nerve Centre but didn't? If so, what were the movies?
SE: Lots, but there’s only been time for so many. I tried to cover as many bases as possible theme wise but would have really liked to shown 'Beyond Hatred’ and Spike Lee’s '4 Little Girls’, two more extremely moving films
 

TNC: Can you sum up the power of film in a sentence?
SE: Not really! But film can provoke a thought or teach you something in only 90 minutes that may have a profound impact on the rest of your life – how many other mediums can do that?

 
TNC: Any parting words for us until we see you again at The Nerve Centre?

SE: I hope if you’ve watched any of the films I’ve chosen that they’ve made an impact and given you something to think about when you left. Until the Nerve Centre returns you can find me showing films at Next To Nowhere on a regular basis – I usually show documentaries on the 2nd and 4th Thursday of each month, and I show feature films with a political or social message on alternate Sundays. Check the calendar here for more information - http://www.liverpoolsocialcentre.org/calendar/month.php


Thanks Steve for a great interview! Catch Steve when he's next at The Nerve Centre for a showing of Peaceable Kingdom on Wednesday 8th September.

The Nerve Centre.

No comments: