08/09/2010

The Nerve Centre Interview: Mashemon.

Here it is , people, the one you've all been waiting for! I probed Mashemon's Ronny and Rocky with some delightful questions and got some delightful answers....

You performed on Saturday in the shop window for the pleasure of many. How was it for you when the crowds started appearing?

Ronny: I found it quite a pleasant experience, watching people go past and seeing the surprised looks on some of their faces. It was particularly gratifying to see the traffic stopping. I’m glad people enjoyed it.

The Nerve Centre has seen much activity in its short open time. Have there been any highlights for you?

Rocky: It’s unfair to single out particular things when the whole thing has been fantastic. But I’m going to do it. I really love the work of Carl Fletcher and meeting such a really nice and genuine fella has been the highlight for me. Jonathan Corkill has also produced some really hypnotic pieces. The visual equivalent of listening to Can. Fantastic stuff.


What are the influences on your performance and music?

Ronny: I’m not really sure. Obviously the music we listen to has a bearing on what we do, but the greatest influence for me is what sound I can extract from the instruments, fitting together melodies and harmonies that interest me and trying not to come up with any particularly rubbish lyrics.

Rocky: I’ll answer the question then! Berlin period Bowie, early Human League, Neu! And Nick Cave.


You were offering copies of your CD in exchange for various "currencies" during the show on Saturday. What's the best deed I could do to get a copy of your CD?

Ronny: The best deed? That’s a question that has puzzled philosophers for thousands of years. What I would like to see is people making other people happy. Spread a bit of love. It is really not that hard to do.

Rocky: Dropping a turd in Otis Ferry’s cereal bowl would make me a happy boy.

What, in your opinion, is the message of The Nerve Centre?

Rocky: I like the fact that people are given a platform for having a go. There seems to be a growing movement of people getting together and saying “enough of this shit, we can do a better job.”

Talk us through the formation of Mashemon.

Ronny: We were working together for the NHS and I had been trying to get out and make some music after moving from Wales. I played Rocky a tune, he liked it and off we went. Bands can be complicated beasts, there’s always someone to pacify and compromises to be made. Thankfully, since we’re both pretty simple and laid back we don’t have that problem. We just do stuff that makes us happy.

Did you have a look at the gallery and did any pieces catch your eye particularly?

Ronny: I liked the Strange Cargo piece.

Many have commented on the visually striking statue in the centre of the gallery. What was your initial reaction to him?

Ronny: An ancient Greek Hulk! (Note: Imagine you're watching The Hulk for a few seconds now!) Hulk comment on modern day political system and failure of democracy! Hulk cold, want pants!

Is there anything you would change about Liverpool?

Ronny: Same thing I would change about the entire country; less violent drunks, fewer wife beaters, get rid of the parasitic consumer outlets, exile everyone who drops litter and don’t pick up their dog’s shit, more art, more original music, fewer CCTV cameras. The list is endless. More kind people who care about other people would be a start.

What should the future be for The Nerve Centre once the closing party has wrapped?

Rocky: I’ve been left wanting more. I honestly think it has been special and I wonder if that has been because the people involved have had so much to say and do, but with so little time to cram it all in.

Any final thoughts for the people of The Nerve Centre?

Ronny: It has been a grand enterprise! More!

Rocky: I’d like to say a big thank you to you all for getting off your arses and making this happen despite all the shit and hassle that was thrown at you. You did it. Feel proud.

Thanks for your Mashemontastic responses! If you're one of those people whom ignores YouTube videos between text, shame on you! Watch the video now!

Probing by Sebastian Gahan.
Video by Mashemon.

No comments: